Ballylinney

Presbyterian

History

 

  

   Ballylinney Presbyterian Church

   Ballylinney Road

   Ballyclare

028 93 323592

Sunday Service 11am

What’s OnWhats_On.htmlshapeimage_1_link_0

History of Ballylinney Presbyterian Church


On 1st April, 1834 after a meeting of the Vault Committee in the old Ballylinney graveyard a further meeting took place to initiate proposals to establish the first Presbyterian Meeting house in the Parish of Ballylinney. It was agreed to "petition" Thomas Greg of Ballymenoch for half an acre of ground then in the possession of William Ross". Mr. Greg granted the land free of rent or charge of any kind with £10 subscription.

The foundation stone was laid on 6th May, 1835 by James Owens of Holestone. Inside the foundation stone was placed a bottle containing coins of the realm, a copy of the Belfast Almanack Newsletter, Minutes of the Synod of Ulster 1834 and a paper with the names of the Congregational Committee. The Meeting House was opened on 11th September 1836 by the Rev. Dr. Henry Cooke of May Street, Belfast. Seating was installed the following year.

 

 


CHRONOLOGY

1840 Ballylinney placed in Carrickfergus Presbytery

1842 First Elders ordained

1883 Manse built on Hillhead Road

1923 First organ installed in Church

1956 Electric heating and lighting installed

1961 Land purchased for car park

1966 Stables converted to enlarge the hall, kitchen and provide toilets

1977 New Hall opened named after Rev. C.F. Young

1997 New suite of halls opened adjoining the C.F. Young Hall and on the site

of the old halls.

2000 A Millennium Wood established.

MINISTERS OF BALLYLINNEY

Rev. Isaac Adams 1837 - 1880

Rev. James Foster Williams 1881 - 1899

Rev. Hugh Craig Meeke 1899 - 1904

Rev. John Kyle 1905 - 1911

Rev. Wilson Moreland Kennedy 1912 - 1921

Rev. Ernest McConnell 1921 - 1958

Rev. Charles Frances Young 1959 - 1982

Rev. Robert Vallely 1983 - 2009

Rev. Emerson McDowell 2010-present